- Hon. Victoriano Joanino 1913 1916
- Hon. Felix Carpio
- Hon. Sixto Baclig
- Hon. Tranquilino Saroca
- Hon. Pio Dacanay 1925 1927
- Hon. Juan Briones 1905 1927
- Hon. Pablo Del Rosario 1928 1931
- Hon. Jose Tecson 1931 1934
- Hon. Nemesio Cabiles 1932
- Hon. Marcelo Neri 1934 1937
- Hon. Luis Ancheta 1937 1940
- Hon. Emilio Buencamino 1942
- Hon. Guillermo Mabalot 1943
- Hon. Jovino Tienzo 1940-1943, 1944-1945, 1948-1951
- Hon. Pastor Domingo 1946 1947
- Hon. Alfredo Briones 1952 1959
- Hon. Carlos Castañeda 1960 1963
- Hon. Rodrigo Mata 1964 1967
- Hon. Abelardo Borja 1967 1971
- Hon. Tiburcio Santillana 1972 1986
- Hon. Modesto Barcelona 1986
- Hon. George Castañeda 1987 1995
- Hon. Alfredo Vendivil 1995 2004
- Hon. Alexander Joanino 2004 2007
- Hon. Richard Ramos 2007 to present
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
A Brief History of Lupao-Nueva Ecija
The derivation of the name of Lupao so far as known has never been fully explained except with the oft repeated myth that it originated from an itchy shrub called “lupa” which grew abundantly on the plains long before the Spaniards settled on the place.
During the Spanish rule, the territorial jurisdiction of the province of Nueva Ecija, extended to as far south at Cabiao and the towns of San Quintin, Rosales, Balungao and Umingan in the north, which later formed part of the province of Pangasinan. Lupao was a component barrio of Umingan. It remained so until 1871 when some residents led by a Senior Calderon petitioned the Governor General for the segregation of Lupao as a barrio of Umingan and the eventual creation of Lupao as “Tenencia Absoluta” and was headed by a Teniente Absoluto. On September 28, 1871, the Govierno Superior Civil de Filipinas decreed the creation of Lupao as Tenencia Absoluta. It signified the formal segregation as barrio and the eventual creation as “pueblo” of the province of Nueva Ecija. Under the Spanish rule, a pueblo is created through the Law of the Indies and represented a local government unit. The pueblo was an agency of the Central Government.
Salvacion was the first barrio of Lupao. Its initial territory also included Barrio Cabaritan now known as San Jose City. Barangay San Roque was known as “Odiao” and San Isidro as “Macañaoed”. Among the first leaders of the municipality during the twilight years of Spanish Rule were Benito Romualdo as “Capitan Municipal” and Celestino Jabalde as “Juez de Paz”.
When the American forces defeated the Spaniards, towns were founded through General Order #43. On January 31, 1901, the Philippine Commission passed Act No. 82 that eventually installed Civil Government on different town in the Philippines, including Lupao. At this time, great change occurred in the economic and political landscapes of the communities.
The Municipality of Lupao is situated at the northern tip of Nueva Ecija and about one hundred seventy five kilometers (175kms) from Manila, one hundred ten kilometers (110kms) from Baguio City and about sixty kilometers (60kms) from Cabanatuan City, the provincial capital.
It is bounded in the North by Umingan, Pangasinan, on the South by San Jose City, on the West by Muñoz and on the East by Carranglan.
Lupao, Nueva Ecija has a total land area of 17,378 hectares or equivalent to 173.78 sq. kms. It comprises twenty four (24) Barangays of which four (4) barangay are classified as Urban namely, Poblacion North, Poblacion South, Poblacion East and Poblacion West and the rest of the barangays are considered rural areas.
Mayors of Lupao